Would you buy a ZenPad S – Z580CL, Z580KL, Z580CG with 4G LTE or 3G?

zenpad s 4g lte 3g fonepad 8In the past, most people feared ridicule at the though of having a big mobile phone held up to their ear in a public place. However, in the recent past, these smartphone have moved right up into the 6-inch territory and people have zero concern of how that looks. So when we’re talking about a 8-inch tablet with phone capabilities, are we being crazy?

First off, Asus has already come to market with the Fonepad 8 in the recent past. That was/is a 8-inch tablet with 3G phone capabilities. Now we can’t say how many they sold, so lets be clear about that. On the surface it seems awfully niche. It may very well be, but consider one fact.

On your smartphone currently, how much of your time is spent talking on the phone vs. every other use? That’s really a question to ponder. If you’re having 10 minute long conversations on the phone, then perhaps it’s a daunting task to consider a 8-inch tablet doing that. Also consider the fact that these devices don’t weigh what they used to. If you were to compare the weight of mobile phones of the past, how do they stack up against the ZenPad S 8.0? Weight is a big factor when considering a tablet for phone usage. Also of course is the dimensions and if you can “palm” a 8-inch tablet.

But think about this. A ZenPad S with 4G LTE or 3G voice capabilities could literally provide everything. It would be a true all-in-one. Certainly for myself I would love to see a ZenPad S in the 7-inch size so that it could have that phone calling capability and not be too big and cumbersome as a phone.

There has been no mention of a phone enabled ZenPad S. However, I did just see a CNET video from Computex 2015 where they were talking about the specs on the new ZenPad tablets. The correspondent said that Asus told him that every ZenPad model would have phone connectivity. My feeling is that is taken out of context and wasn’t referring to the ZenPad S series.

Asus says that all of the zenpad range with come with a LTE version or a wifi only version, but is going to depend on region and variants…”

So what is your feeling on a big tablet with phone abilities? Is 8-inch okay with you? Is 7-inch the maximum you would consider? Please let us know in the comment section below.

9 Comments

1. Missy June 3, 2015 at 6:24 pm #

Nope. Notta chance I’m going 8 let alone 7. I’m maxed on a 5.5 inch smartphone. I’m sure some might but a small market for big phone like that.

2. SteelyDan June 3, 2015 at 6:25 pm #

I’m open to a 7-inch zenpad s with phone abilities. Have no fear people!

3. William August 1, 2015 at 7:45 am #

Definitely!

So you have internet on the road….

4. peacekeeper August 7, 2015 at 11:20 pm #

There’s no spec here for the Z580CG which would have been nice. That way I can get a premium note taking tablet and not need a secondary device. Then I can use a blue tooth for phone calls

5. NoLTE_NoSale August 18, 2015 at 11:47 am #

I would never buy a tablet without LTE connectivity. I was very interested in the ZenPad S 8.0 but that waned very quickly once I realized it would be a WiFi-only device. In my country, mobile internet connections (100 mbps 4G LTE) are very common in urban areas but WiFi hotspots are not found everywhere, so why would I have to use two devices to connect to the internet when one is sufficient? I don’t use, nor need to use, a tablet as a phone.

I’ll be buying a new 8″ tablet soon, and at the moment it seems like the new Huawei MediaPad M2 8.0 LTE Premium Edition will be my choice.

• Vic October 3, 2015 at 6:53 am #

I’m with you 100% pal. But considering the possibility to use the tablet as a regular phone (assuming it has 3G/4G internet connection already), I would say the current Zenpad S 8.0 (4:3 aspect ratio) would be too cumbersome to hold in one hand for a long time, even though at 298g it does managed to save some weight from the 320-350g mark. Aspect ratio it seems likely the problem, because for me, I wanted the tablet have no more width than 12cm (that means the 123mm width of the other 8″ 16:10 zenpads is ok), and no more weight than 200g in the future (for the time being some 7″ does come close, 217g if I’m not mistaken).
      Pheew….! Feels rather good to have finally made up my mind 🙂

6. Vic September 12, 2015 at 8:26 pm #

Yup. Each one of my devices have to got a sim card slot. 4G is future proof, 3G would be sufficient.

7. Vic October 3, 2015 at 6:54 am #

Pheew….! Feels rather good to have finally made up my mind 🙂

8. Vic October 3, 2015 at 7:21 am #

I’m afraid one of the classic wayout for OEMs to save weight on their products is by cutting down on battery size…. Which is not what I wanted. I’d rather have a bulky 350g plus weight and even some bezel real estate for my fingers for a 8″ tablet, for the sake of a super battery that last 2-3 days with normal use (wifi/gps/nfc/bluetooth/and last but not least data off when not in use, while of course setting brightness level at optimum level depending on surrounding, ambience sensor helps, and lastly a good task killer that learns my usage offline, all to save battery). All that thinking the battery isn’t removable (lately all major OEMs sort of agreed that we don’t need removable battery, how wrong they are). It’ll be finally perfect if this great battery are user-removable, so we won’t be forced to stay around wall sockets all day or if not to carry those HEAVY, BULKY, Powerbanks which not really up to my expectations except if it’s really big and charges really fast while not having a high cost to use due to its life cycles (how long do u think a Quick Charge 2.0-capable 20000 mAH will hold up its charge? While entitled to supply a 5″ smartphone, a 8″ tablet, a laptop, and a dumbphone.)

Oops. Turns out I may be well off topic here.
    For those wondering the connection, remember:
    Save weight -> Reduced battery size -> Lower the already low battery life.