Petition started to encourage Asus to bring Android 7.1 Nougat to their devices

One of our visitors Dave informed us of an online petition that was started in hopes of getting Asus to bring Android 7.1 to their devices. The petition can be found here. The petition initiator is a guy named Anthony Van Dyck from Italy.

If you go onto the Asus ZenTalk forums, you can clearly see the volume of requests and questions about the new Android updates. The requests are steady and constant across any Android device made by Asus. The petition is great and will help, but certainly Asus knows about the requests and customer demands when it comes to getting Android updates.

As we pointed out recently, more ZenPad tablets got the Marshmallow update that most people likely realized. The good news is that Asus is reducing their Android tablet offerings which should in theory result in a bit more TLC (tender loving care) when it comes to rolling out software updates. Not a guarantee, but the odds increase.

I think on a personal level, I think most Android updates are overstated. The improved features a lot of times are minor in nature and a lot of people might not even realize the additional features. Sure, in the beginning of Android the updates were major and game changing. Regardless of how the updates will or will not improve the user experience, I can also appreciate that when something is new, people want and expect it. It’s newer and therefore it must be better. I say a stable and bug free OS is better than a new Android update that might be buggy. And of course this is always the risk to a device when a manufacturer rolls out an Android update.

10 Comments

1. Bob White November 15, 2016 at 2:58 am #

I surely would like for Asus to update my Zenpad S3 10 Z500M to Android Nougat 7.1 and perhaps more importantly, Google’s security patches

• Staff November 15, 2016 at 3:43 am #

Asus actually rolled out the most recent security patch to pretty much every ZenPad model from what I remember seeing.

• Jon Temple December 12, 2016 at 11:22 pm #

I am with you Bob. I am looking to return my Zenpad Z500M due to Asus’s not allowing for their customer base to be updated to the most currently released version of Android, Nougat.
      PLEASE Call, write, text and chat with Asus to convince them that their customers need to hear from them on what they are going to do or not do. Virtually exery competitive Tablet and Phone maker has provided their customers with Nougat a schedule, EXCEPT Asus. Samsung, LG, Sony, Moto, BLackberry, Google, HTC, huawei.

• Staff December 12, 2016 at 11:54 pm #

Asus has basically one tablet release in the US aside from the Verizon models. I cannot see a scenario where the one tablet doesn’t get Android 7.0 Nougat. If they don’t then maybe they are going to shut down the tablet business all together.

2. Peter November 16, 2016 at 10:11 am #

Nougat IS game changing!

I’m looking to buy an Android tablet and the Nougat multiple window handling is a must. I would buy Zenpad 3S right away if I knew it gets 7.0 (in a reasonable time).

3. dave November 21, 2016 at 4:27 pm #

A quick note that there are about only 250 signatures needed before the petition is forwarded onto Asus! I am hopeful asus supports their hardware with updates a bit longer than it has been lately.

4. Patty Vasil December 1, 2016 at 5:16 pm #

I am so dissatisfied, I have repeatedly requested the zen pad 8.0 not s manual, and nothing. Just yadda yadda .

5. Fred December 29, 2016 at 4:14 pm #

How about an Android OS update for the ASUS Zenpad z300c?
    Come on ASUS, your customers certainly deserve better support!

6. Mark Harrington January 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm #

I would be very pleased also if Asus would update my Zenpad s8.0 Z580 CA to Nougat also. I bought my Premium tablet just 11 months ago. I was able to update it to marshmallow 6.01 but now Android N Nougat has been out for some time and is a very competent and stable operating system. It would be very nice please that you would release the update for us zenpad users that spent top quality money to buy your best tablet at the time. It certainly has enough RAM at 4 gigabytes and ROM at 64 gigabytes not to mention another 32gb I put in a Micro SD on the side as backup. It’s a fabulous tablet I have had Asus as far back as Pentium 4 motherboards in 2003. I am a solid Asus user and owner of your high-powered Direct graphics cards as well 3 slot very high speed graphics cards I own an awful lot of Asus products 5 computers. Everything updates it seems except the Asus tablets.